Starting a Short-term Rental Permit in the City of Roseville

You’ve decided to rent out your primary residence, a portion of your residence, or an accessory dwelling unit, so what is next?  The first step is to read the municipal code, Chapter 4.25, to ensure you follow the rules and regulations of the short-term rental ordinance and meet all the criteria prior to starting your new venture.  You will also need to obtain a business license and a short-term rental permit.  For help with these things, you can contact HdL, the Transient Occupancy Tax (“TOT”) processing center, at (916) 764-3033 or e-mail them at  [email protected]

There are many things you should consider when starting a business and short-term rental. The goal of this web page is to help the new business owner understand the short-term rental and business license process. Included are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding requirements for starting a short-term rental, as well as information for obtaining your business license: Business License Application, Short-term Rental Application, smoke and carbon monoxide detector information and fee schedules.  You can also download a Business License Handbook,  Neighbor Notification, Floor Plan Map, and Short-term Rental FAQs to help you get started.

For neighbor complaints:  Please follow this link to obtain owner contact information by searching for the property address:  Short-term Rental Owner Information.  All owners are required to respond to the residence within 30 minutes of a complaint.

To submit and pay your monthly Transient Occupancy Tax, please visit this website:


To renew your Short-term Rental Permit for the year, please visit this website:

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is a short-term rental permit?

This permit allows the applicant to rent a single family dwelling or part of a single family dwelling on a short-term basis. A short-term basis is 30 days or less to the same person. A renter who signs a contract or lease for more than 30 consecutive days is not considered short-term and this permit would not apply. PLEASE NOTE pursuant to State law, an accessory dwelling unit cannot be rented on a short-term basis.

Who needs a short-term rental permit?

Anyone who rents out a room(s) in their single family dwelling or their whole single family dwelling on a short-term basis. A short-term basis is 30 days or less to the same person.

What is the cost of a short-term rental permit?

A new permit is $185 and the yearly renewal is $85.

Do I need a permit from Planning?

No. This permit can be applied for by contacting the City of Roseville’s third party vendor HdL at (916) 764-3033, or emailing customer support at [email protected]. They will help with all licensing and permitting required for the short-term rental.

Does the short-term rental need to be within a primary residence?

Yes. You may rent out all or part of your single family primary residence, consistent with the provisions of the short-term rental permit. Short-term rentals are not allowed in single family residences that are not the primary dwelling of the permitee.

What is required to operate a short-term rental?

•    Short-term rental permit
•    Business license (a home occupation permit is not required)
•    Monthly remittance of the City Transient Occupancy Tax.

What is Transient Occupancy Tax?

Transient Occupancy Tax is a tax imposed on any person who, for any period of not more than 30 consecutive days, either at his own expense or at the expense of another, obtains lodging or the use of any lodging space in any public or private hotel, inn, hostelry, tourist home or house, motel, roominghouse or other lodging place within the city offering lodging, wherein the owner and operator thereof, for compensation, furnishes lodging to any person or entity.

What is the City's Transient Occupancy Tax rate?

The City’s Transient Occupancy Tax rate is 10%. Renters collect the tax and remit it to the City Monthly.

How often do I need to renew my permit?

The short-term rental permit is an annual permit and must be renewed each year, based on the day the permit was issued. Also, please be aware that a business license is required in addition to a permit, and business licenses are renewed each calendar year by January 31st.

Please note: you could be requested to participate in a random audit of the TOT revenues for a given period.