The City of Roseville Police Department's Animal Control Officers make every effort to keep the public safe, protect animals, and educate the community to be responsible pet owners. 

Contact Animal Control for any animal-related questions or concerns as indicated in the drop-down menus below.

Placer SPCA is the City's contract shelter. Contact them for lost/found animals, low-cost spay / neuter and vaccine clinics, and pet adoptions. They do not respond to animal issues out in the field, handle enforcement, or removal of dead animals from the roadway or private property.

Location: 1051 Junction Blvd. Roseville CA 95678
Department Hours: Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Lobby/Front Counter Hours: Tuesday–Friday 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Patrol & Dispatch Hours: Open 24 hours

Emergency Phone: 911 or (916) 786-6444
Non-Emergency Phone: (916) 774-5000
TDD: (916) 774-5200
Contact Us

Enforcement of animal laws and ordinances:

Leash Law / At-large

Dogs must be on a leash when off the premises of the owner or the person having care, custody, control or possession of the dog. The leash shall not exceed six feet in length and shall be of sufficient strength to restrain the dog and must be held continuously by a responsible person capable of controlling the dog. When on the premises of the owner or the person having care, custody, control or possession of the dog, the dog must be restrained by means adequate and sufficient to prevent the dog from leaving the premises or under the control and in the immediate presence of the owner or person having care, custody, control or possession of the dog.

Removal of Dog Defecation

It is unlawful to have custody of any dog and fail to immediately remove and dispose of any feces deposited by such dog upon public property or upon private property not owned or controlled by the owner or person having the custody of such dog. It is also unlawful to allow dog feces to accumulate or remain on the ground or other surface on his or her private property to the extent that the accumulation creates a nuisance.

Animal Noise / Barking Dogs

No person shall keep any animal that makes noise so continuously or incessantly for a period of 20 minutes or intermittently for an hour or more as to unreasonably disturb the peace and quiet. Animal Control Officers will warn the animal owner up to three times within a 12 month period. At the fourth complaint, the complainant is required to come forward and sign a citation against the animal owner. Animal Control Officers do not conduct independent investigations for animal noise and the complainant is required to hold the burden of proof.

Domestic Fowl

The City of Roseville allows residents to have up to 10 whether singly or in combination of ducks, chickens (both rooster and/or hen), or pigeons. Any domestic fowl shall be kept in a sanitary enclosure and the enclosure shall not be located within 20 feet of any building or property line. The animal noise municipal code section applies to domestic fowl kept within the City of Roseville.

Dog Limitations

No more than three dogs over the age of four months shall be kept at or upon any premises or dwelling unit.

Animals in City Parks

It is unlawful for any person to bring, have, allow or free any animal within the perimeter of any city park or golf course. Dogs may be exercised on-leash on bicycle/walking trails only or in one of the five designated city dog parks.

Service Dogs

"Service animals" are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person's disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA (Adults with Disabilities Act)." -U.S. Department of Justice

Mandatory registration of service animals is not permissible under the ADA (Adults with Disabilities Act) and does not require service animals to wear a vest, ID tag, nor specific harness. Therefore, the City of Roseville does not issue service dog ID tags. If you would like to obtain service dog identification, you will need to contact a private company. Service dogs are still subject to the same dog licensing and rabies vaccination laws that are applied to all dogs in the City of Roseville and must be licensed with the City of Roseville.

For more information regarding service dogs, please visit the Department of Justice - Adults with Disabilities Act website at:

Dog Parks

There are five off-leash dog parks in the City of Roseville. Dogs must have a current dog license (this is not the same as a rabies tag) and must be over 6 months of age. The dog license tag must be affixed on your dog's collar in order to be in one of the city's dog parks.

Marco Dog Park: 1800 Sierra Gardens Dr.
Bear Dog Park: 1575 Pleasant Grove Blvd.
Hughes Dog Park: 1600 Parkside Wy.
Saugstad Dog Park: 100 Buljan Dr.
New Dog Park in progress. Expected completion is winter 2023: 1280 Antelope Creek Dr.

Please be aware and adhere to all 'Dog Park Rules' posted at the dog parks and on the city’s Parks & Recreation website.

Park Rules:
  • All Dog handlers MUST carry a leash
  • Dogs MUST be leashed prior to entering and upon leaving the park
    • Dogs must be leased outside of fenced area or fines from $50-$250 may be assessed
  • Dogs MUST be under voice control and be in sight of their handler
  • Limit of two dogs allowed per dog handler
  • YOU are responsible for your actions and those of your dog
  • Any dog exhibiting aggression MUST be REMOVED from the park
  • Children under 15 years of age MUST be supervised by a responsible adult
  • All dogs MUST display CURRENT license and MUST be 6 months of age
  • Dogs that are sick, in heat or have fleas or ticks are not permitted
  • This park is ONLY to be used as a place where dogs can be exercised
  • Dog equipment is for PLAY ONLY and is not intended for professional training
  • Food, picnics, sports activities and bicycles are not permitted
  • When leaving the park, remove all toys and personal items or they will be discarded
  • Park users and dog handlers assume ALL risk related to park use
  • Please pick up after your dog and yourself
  • Park closes 1 hour after sunset
  • Park opens 1 hour before sunrise

Dog and Cat Licenses

Licensing is required for all dogs and cats 4 months and older and must be licensed with the City of Roseville. The City of Roseville has partnered with PetData. There are two options available to license your dog or cat.

Telephone - You can call PetData directly at (877) 816-6708

Online - To license online, go to and enter your zip code. Under "License Now", click "Online". The rabies certificate may be uploaded or submitted later by fax, mail or email. Pay with a major credit card. A convenience fee will apply per transaction. Multiple pets can be licensed in one transaction.

Low-cost Rabies Vaccine and Micro-Chipping

The Placer SPCA offers low-cost rabies vaccine and micro-chipping clinics in addition to spay and neuter assistance (SNAP). For more information, go to and click the "Services" link.

After Hours Animal Control

After hours Animal Control calls for service are limited to animals causing in-progress/immediate danger to public safety or for stray/wild injured animals that need immediate veterinary care. For non-urgent calls, an Animal Control Officer will handle the next regular scheduled work day.

Animal Bites

Please report the following immediately to Animal Control - Animal bites to humans, wild animal bites to domestic animals, bat to human contact, and bat to domestic animal contact. A domestic animal involved in a bite or contact with wildlife may be required to be quarantined.

Animal Control Officers provide the following services:

Found Dog

If you have found a loose dog, please report it to Animal Control immediately at (916)774-5090, or you may take the dog to the Placer SPCA located at 150 Corporation Yard Rd. The SPCA can be reached at (916) 782-7722. Placer SPCA is the city's contract shelter.

Loose/Nuisance Cats

All owned cats must be licensed. Cats are free to roam. If you have a problem with a nuisance cat on your property, you may rent a free trap from the City of Roseville Police Dept. Animal Control. The cat trap line can be reached at (916) 774-5090 option 4. Leave a message and one of our volunteers will get back to you to arrange an appointment to come pick up a cat trap or to add you to our cat trap wait-list. Once the cat is trapped, you must take the cat to the city's contract shelter, Placer SPCA, located at 150 Corporation Yard Rd. during their regular business hours. The Placer SPCA can be reached at (916) 782-7722.

Lost Pet

To report your pet lost or missing, please contact the City's contract shelter, Placer SPCA, located at 150 Corporation Yard Rd. The Placer SPCA can be reached at (916) 782-7722.

Removal of Dead Animals

Animal Control Officers remove dead animals from public roadways and may be available to pick up dead animals from private property. If it is your own pet that is deceased, it is recommended you need to contact a veterinarian concerning the disposal of your deceased pet. You may also drop off your deceased pet at the Placer SPCA during business hours. Placer SPCA has their own fee schedule so it is recommended you contact them directly at (916) 782-7722.

Wildlife Reporting

Report any non-emergency wildlife sightings through the City's Wildlife Reporting System. This is an information only tool. Unless the animal is injured or acting aggressively, there is no need to call the City's Police Department's Animal Control Unit. Animal Control does not handle nuisance wildlife issues. There are many state laws surrounding wildlife in California. For nuisance wildlife issues, and to avoid doing anything that could be illegal, you will need to call the Placer County Agriculture Commission at 530-889-7372 to see what wildlife services they may offer. Or you will need to call a fee based, licensed wildlife or pest control company.